Blogger 101: Why You Don't Need to Buy New Clothes All The Time

To call myself a fashion blogger is a misnomer; I don't really talk in-depth about fashion trends or latest fashion events. I am more of a personal style blogger - blogging to showcase my personal taste in fashion and other ways I incorporate (or not) trends into my day-to-day looks. There are certain challenges to becoming a personal style blogger, though. Budget is one of the most pressing of these issues. We're not celebrities or models that get free clothes to model or wear for photoshoots. Hence, it is always a challenge to re-mix pieces on your closet to come up with new looks. 


Source

An easy solution for that? Buy new clothes - right? But this could come at a high price, literally speaking. Not everyone of us can afford to buy new clothes every week, every month! If you do feel the urge to do that, stop now. Here are a few tips I've learned along the way (from others and from myself) about coping with the urge to buy new clothes as frequently as you are compelled to.

Organize Your Closet

I bet you've encountered the phrase "shop your own closet" before. Most of us think that we have nothing to wear. However, this could be a case of simply not being organized enough so you can't actually see what you have! The moment you organize your closet, you'll find pieces you haven't worn in ages! It will be exciting to try them out again and see how you can style them.

Evaluate Pieces You Own


Source

If there are items that you have never worn or worn only a few times, ask yourself why. This is an important step so you can determine what to change about your shopping habits in the future. It is all about smart shopping not the frequency of your shopping trips. 

Visit Your Tailor

Are your old pieces torn or need fixing? Have you not worn an item because you don't like the fit? Invest on getting them mended or tailored to give you the right fit. It is more affordable than buying a new piece of clothing.

Do Some Purging

After running through your items, are there any items that you do not want to wear anymore? Sell them! Or donate. Either way, you can free up space in your closet to become more organized and get some money you can use for when you really need to buy something.

I know me giving out these tips is easier said than done. Even, I myself, struggle with the need to impulse shop. But hopefully, this will give us a broader perspective on the idea that it is more fun and creative to style pieces that you own rather than buy something new! 

Are you guilty of shopping new clothes all the time? How do you fight the urge?



 

13 comments

  1. Great tips, when it comes to fashion I'm a cheap ass haha i love to do my shopping in thrift stores, outlets and of course sales. i don't think we need to spend tons of money to look good, we wear the clothes the clothes don't wear us
    x,Abril

    The Color Palette

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fashion blogger, I definitely feel the need to shop more! I see something I like on a blogger and suddenly have to have it. Before, I just used to buy clothes at the mall with friends. These are great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For someone on a tight budget like me, this is really on point! I've tried de-cluttering old clothes in my closet and it's honestly a relief!

    www.itsjaninella.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I totally agree we dont have still money for new clothes so I like buying in second-hands shop or change clothes with friends. Thanks for your tips.

    mishelleslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. had a similar post :) hihi love your tips!!
    kisses from dubai ♥
    www.mahryska.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the reasons I started my blog was to really see what I use and what I don't and buy pieces that I can wear different ways. I like to challenge myself to come up with new outfits all the time, that being said, starting a fashion blog in the dead of Winter is probably not the best way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these tips. I try not to go over budget but try to rewear pieces. I need to do a better job of organizing my closet. And I love that quote from Caitlin Moran. It's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have many clothes , I rather get staples that I can mix and match

    CANDICE | BEAUTY CANDY LOVES

    ReplyDelete
  9. great tips. I haven't brought new clothes since November.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I love reorganizing and finding old pieces that have come back in style :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I love reorganizing and finding old pieces that have come back in style :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favorite things about blogging is that it encourages me to rewear things in my closet in different ways. Great post!

    District of Chic

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great tips- I always say "I have nothing to wear" when I get sick of my older clothes. I definitely sell the best things on eBay and give the rest away to Goodwill to free up some room :)

    xo, Kristina
    Medicine & Manicures

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading comments and they make my day. So, go ahead and make mine! :)